Five years ago, Derek was diagnosed with a prolactinoma this largely contributed to his weight gain. Weighing in around 625 lbs, at age 34, Derek decided to make a life change and lose weight. He started making healthier food choices but realized food alone will not do the trick, so he started walking. In an effort to give himself a goal in his walking, he has dedicated to completing a 5k) every month. In this podcast Derek talks to us about who he is, his evolving relationship with running/walking, his advice for dealing with haters/doubters and lastly he gives new runners advice to help them crush their goals.
“People are afraid to be the biggest and the slowest out there….but I have been the biggest and the slowest out there. It doesn’t matter to other runners….the only thing that matters is that you are out there!”- Derek Mitchell
Scroll down for complete show notes.
Join the Movement: Subscribe and Review!
Get the 300 Pounds and Running Podcast delivered automatically to your smartphone or podcast player at no charge to you, please subscribe using your preferred method below:
Get the RSS Feed for your own favorite RSS Podcast Player.
Show your boy some love and leave me a review and rating on iTunes! This helps me get the show up in the rankings and I’d deeply appreciate it. 🙂
- 0:55 - Who is Derek and how did a new year's resolution kick off his new running lifestyle.
- 3:58 - Learn how Derek started his running journey and the obstacles that he faced. - “Listen to your body and do what you can.”
- 6:35 - Learn about the impact that running has had on Derek’s life- “ I have energy and drive after I started running!”
- 7:25 - What would Derek tell his pass/younger self - “It gets easier!”
- 11:26 - Learn about the reactions Derek received when he decided to participate in a 5k every month. - “The cool thing about the running community is that they are so positive and encouraging!”
- 15:14 - Derek discusses his current diet and exercise routine. -
- 16:51 - Derek gives words of advice for those that are new to running or starting a weight loss journey -”Be consistent.”
- 18:17 - Derek gives his favorite weight loss and running resources
- 20:22 - What are Derek's goals for this year?
- 22:46 - Words of Wisdom from Derek and how to contact him. - “Listen to your body!”
Resources Mentioned During the Podcast
How do I contact Derek Mitchell?
What you missed in the last episode?
In episode 6, we sat down with Corey Louchiey and we talked about his journey from the NFL to running, he also gives Goal Crushes advice on how to make lasting lifestyle changes. Check out 300 Pounds and Running Podcast episode 6 now!
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
Getting a 5-star rating and/or written review is incredibly important for this show. It helps with ranking and with generating the necessary exposure that gets this podcast out in front of other runners.
But it is even more important to me!
I read each and every comment and really take them all to heart. They provide encouragement that what I am doing is getting noticed and that the show is getting listened to.
I am so thankful to those who have recently gone into iTunes to provide a five-star rating and written a review of the 300 Pounds and Running Podcast.
That’s why I’m asking YOU to please provide your boy rating and/or write a review on iTunes. You can do so by following the instructions below:
- Go to the show’s iTunes Page or search “300 Pounds and Running” from iTunes if you aren’t already a subscriber.
- Open the page in the iTunes app, and click on the number of stars for the rating you think I deserve.
- Write a sentence or two to share your comments.
A million thanks in advance!
That’s it for now. Keep crushing those goals, and we’ll be back next time!