Tekia Denwiddie is a mother, half marathoner, goal crusher and overall amazing person. Tekia decided to train for a half marathon after her son who is a patient at St. Jude encouraged her to do so. Her journey was long and hard but she made it (she got lost in the middle of the race)! In this podcast Tekia talks to us about who she is, her relationship with running, and lastly she gives new runners advice to help them crush their goals.
“The key is…I kept going, I was in a lot of pain, it took me forever, but I didn’t stop and I finished “ -Tekia Denwiddie
Scroll down for complete show notes.
Join the Movement: Subscribe and Review!
Get the 300 Pounds and Running Podcast delivered automatically to your smartphone or podcast player at no charge to you, please subscribe using your preferred method below:
Get the RSS Feed for your own favorite RSS Podcast Player.
Show your boy some love and leave me a review and rating on iTunes! This helps me get the show up in the rankings and I’d deeply appreciate it. ?
- 1:07 - Learn who Tekia Denwiddie is and why she decided to run a half marathon.
- 2:56 - Tekia talks about how she trained for the half marathon (and overcame) - “Finding and making the time and balance was the hardest part of training.”
- 4:50 - Tekia talks about obstacles she faced during her training. - “Everyday was an obstacle...I had to change the negative thoughts and remember why I was training.”
- 6:51 - Tekia discusses how she felt the day of her half marathon. - “It felt amazing but I was scared!” “The energy of the race was amazing.”
- 8:36 - Tekia discusses the obstacles she faced during her race. - “Mile 7 I ended up going in the wrong direction and got lost.” I had no phone, money and I was in an unsafe neighborhood...but I still finished.” “Someone tried to sell me something out of their purse.” “It was an adventure.”
- 19:10 - Tekia talks about the impacts that running has had on her life. I completed the race for my son, the kids at St. Jude and most importantly...MYSELF!”.
- 20:48 - What would Tekia tell her pass/younger self - “Stay positive and believe in yourself!”
- 21:24 - Tekia gives her favorite running resources
- 22:55 - Learn about Tekia’s goals for this year.
- 24:00 - Words of Wisdom from Tekia - “Stay active and don’t give up!”
Resources Mentioned During the Podcast
- Zero to Running E-Book
- St. Jude Research Children’s Hospital
- Couch to 5K
- Map My Run
- St. Jude Rock 'N' Roll Nashville Marathon & 1/2 Marathon
How do I contact Tekia Denwiddie?
What you missed in the last episode?
In episode 8, we sat down with Michelle Hercules-Walker and we talked about how her faith combined with running helped her work through depression and suicidal thoughts, help her go from 317 lbs to Runner World's Cover! Check out 300 Pounds and Running Podcast episode8 now!
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
Getting a 5-star rating and/or written review is incredibly important for this show. It helps with ranking and with generating the necessary exposure that gets this podcast out in front of other runners.
But it is even more important to me!
I read each and every comment and really take them all to heart. They provide encouragement that what I am doing is getting noticed and that the show is getting listened to.
I am so thankful to those who have recently gone into iTunes to provide a five-star rating and written a review of the 300 Pounds and Running Podcast.
That’s why I’m asking YOU to please provide your boy rating and/or write a review on iTunes. You can do so by following the instructions below:
- Go to the show’s iTunes Page or search “300 Pounds and Running” from iTunes if you aren’t already a subscriber.
- Open the page in the iTunes app, and click on the number of stars for the rating you think I deserve.
- Write a sentence or two to share your comments.
A million thanks in advance!
That’s it for now. Keep crushing those goals, and we’ll be back next time!